When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. In La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland the serving of Absinthe was done in the traditional manner. One can go through “The Ritual” or “La Louche” to gather information.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. It is necessary to have thujone in the Absinthe.
– An Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one is required. One can get replicas of antiques from AbsintheKit.com.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon or a cuillere is used.
– A cube of sugar is needed.
– It is good to use iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Both tap of the fountain or carafe can be used to slowly drip iced water over the sugar. Dripping it slowly will help in the sugar to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. One must see a lovely “louche” effect after mixing the water into the alcohol. As the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol but not in water so the Absinthe louches.
– One can enjoy the Green Fairy or the Absinthe.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Various Absinthe followers detested the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– Importance of an Absinthe glass
– Take an Absinthe slotted spoon
– A cube of sugar is needed
– Take a lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Take the Absinthe spoon to keep sugar cube on it and rest on the rim of the glass.
– It is necessary to alight the sugar cube for one minute for it’s caramelization and melting. It is necessary to drop the sugar through the spoon into the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into the Absinthe to keep away any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– These are the tips to enjoy Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. It was called as “Death in the Afternoon” by Ernest Hemingway who liked mixing it with champagne.
Various mysteries, stories and legends are there focusing on different features of Absinthe. This famous mythical drink can be enjoyed like this.